Maintenance guide for your Deltech benchtop front load furnace
We all know maintenance can prevent future problems. It can help minimize furnace downtime and ensure operator safety. Do you have a Deltech benchtop front load furnace? If so, you’ll be interested in knowing the recommended maintenance for this model. The timeline for recommended maintenance is based on use under Deltech firing guidelines and the assumption that the composition of the items being fired is not detrimental to the performance of the heating elements and refractory materials.
- Inspect the interior of your front load furnace – including the door – for cracking, sagging, and/or pin failures. Replace pins as needed. Spares and instructions for replacement are available from Deltech. Contact Deltech if you notice any significant sagging or cracks that are turning into fissures.
- Ensure that when the furnace is closed and fired, no light is escaping. Replacement load platform parts are available from Deltech.
- Replace the thermocouples. Thermocouples are subject to aging and will read low over time. This can lead to the actual furnace temperature being much higher than that indicated on the temperature controllers, leading to element and refractory damage and ultimate failure.
Every 3-5 years
- It might be time to consider purchasing a complete reline kit from Deltech, fabricated to fit your furnace. Over time the insulation loses its thermal properties and it might be difficult to get the furnace to reach setpoint temperatures. Inspect the furnace for deterioration and review your setpoint vs actual data. Send us some pictures and firing data for analysis and recommendations if you are unsure.
- Heating elements only need to be replaced when they fail. And they can be replaced independently; that is you can replace only the failed elements in a series rather than having to replace them all. Review our element replacement tutorial videos for information on locating and replacing damaged molydisilicide heating elements. Spares are available from Deltech.
- And don’t forget to inspect and replace buss bars, element holders, and straps as needed. Pitted bars, frayed straps, and broken or damaged holders can result in arcing and loss of elements.
Contact us when you have questions or need parts or service for your Deltech lab scale front load furnace.